CONGRESSMAN RUBÉN HINOJOSA TO LEAD CONGRESSIONAL ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION ON STEM FIELDS at UTPA's 11th ANNUAL HESTEC WEEK FOLLOWED BY STEM CENTER RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY AT UTPA
Congressman Rubén Hinojosa (D-TX-15) will lead the Congressional Roundtable on Science Literacy at the 11th annual HESTEC week at 8:00 a.m. on Monday September 24, 2012 at the UTPA Field House. The panel this year includes educators, STEM field business leaders and representatives from the U.S. military, NASA and from private industries. Members of the Congressional Roundtable will discuss the importance of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) careers for Latino and Latina students.
"STEM careers are the jobs of the future and those students who graduate with degrees in STEM fields will be the ones who contribute to our country's economic stability and national strength," said U.S. Rep. Hinojosa. "Anyone who has participated in HESTEC at UTPA throughout the years understands that STEM careers build a robust middle class. We need to focus, now more than ever, on preparing Latinos for those jobs so that they too can share in economic prosperity and provide for their families."
The Congressional Roundtable will be moderated by Mr. Tony Forina
Members of the panel include:
• U. S. Congressman Rubén Hinojosa
• Dr. Robert S. Nelsen, President, UTPA
• Admiral Mark Ferguson, Vice Chief of Naval Operations (VCNO), U.S. Navy
• Dr. Subra Suresh, Director, National Science Foundation
• Ms. Janet Clark, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Marathon Oil
• Mr. Hector Pineda, Associate General Counsel – Onshore for Shell’s Upstream Americas organization
• Ms. Natalie Saiz, Director, Human Resources at NASA-Johnson Space Center
• Mr. Armando Garza, Plant Manager, Coca-Cola Refreshments
• Dr. Rene Gutierrez, Superintendent, Edinburg CISD
****10:00 a.m. Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at the Center of Excellence in STEM at UTPA****
Immediately following the Congressional Roundtable Congressman Hinojosa will participate in a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 10:00 a.m. at the Center of Excellence in STEM at MAGC 2.412 (STEM Center) on the UTPA campus.